CLI tool for generating all the necessary iOS and Android application launcher icons for React Native projects from a single SVG source file. Features include:
- iOS PNG icon generation
- Android 8.0, and higher, vector drawable adaptive icon generation with PNG fallback
- Android 7.1 legacy circular icon generation
- Android 7.0, and lower, legacy square icon generation
:curly_loop: If you also want to use SVG images within your React Native application, you might want to check out react-native-svg-asset-plugin.
npm install --save-dev react-native-svg-app-icon
SVG rendering handled by the splendid
sharp library, meaning no dependencies outside of npm is required.
Requires node version 10, or later.
Place your square 108x108 SVG app icon file named
icon.svg in the project root and run
This will generate all the required icons under the
If you want to use a separate background layer for Android adaptive icons, or because your source icon file doesn't contain a background, you can create an
icon-background.svg file which will be used as the background layer for the generated icons.
The input icon should be a SVG file adhering to the Android adaptive icon specification. Specifically, the image should:
- Be a valid SVG image
- have a 1:1 aspect ratio
- Have a size of 108x108dp
of which the:
- Center 72x72dp square is the normally visible area
- Center 66dp diameter circle is the safe area which will always be visible
With the various icons cropped according to the following image
- Overflow area
- Visible area
- iOS / Android legacy square crop
- Android legacy circular crop
- Safe area
- Icon keylines
For an example icon file, see
React Native aims to provide tools for building cross platform native mobile applications using technologies familiar from web development. Since the core tooling doesn't provide a solution for building the laundher icons for those applications, this tool aims to fill that gap.
Luckily, most icons follow a similar structure of a foreground shape on a background, which is easily adapted to different shapes and sizes. This is the idea behind Android Adaptive Icons, and what the Android Image Asset Studio implements nicely for generating leagy icons. This tool can actually be though of as a NPM CLI port of the Image Asset Studio, with added support for generating iOS icons as well.
Most existing solutions are centered around the idea of scaling PNG images.
- Expo: Scales PNG files generating the required iOS and Android variants, but requires users to supply platform specific PNGs in order to adhere to platform icon design guidelines.
- app-icon: Similar to Expo, with some added features such as labeling the icons. Requires imagemagick.
Supported SVG features
Most common SVG features are supported, including masks and styles. The underlying SVG rendering library is
librsvg which claims to support most SVG 1.1 features, excluding scripts, animations and SVG fonts.
- Allow configuring icon path in
app.json, similarly to https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/guides/app-icons/
- Add generation of Android notification icons